AIM
n-no

Abobo's Big Adventure Abobo's Big Adventure

Fantastic.

I love the incorporation of so many NES games into one product. The Urban Champion bit had me laughing, not sure why it was a level, but okay. :P

I remember when I first played the NES version of Double Dragon. I thought it was a pretty easy beat 'em up game until I got to Abobo sometime around or after the first level, and finally died after thinking the game was presenting no challenge. I had no idea what Abobo's name was or anything until recently when I saw RicePirate's Abobo: Truth of Stache short. I think it's humorous that you've made an adventure game on what I thought was such a small character, but it's proven to be very entertaining.

Playing this game has been great so far. I've yet to beat it, but I can tell already how much work and effort has been put into it. My only criticisms are the lack of an options menu to mess around with controls and then the simplicity of the controls, but I guess that's a given since it's a NES tribute game. Another thing I have a slight problem with is how easy it is to get medals, but again, I guess that's also a given for a Newgrounds promo game. I really appreciate the difficulty level in gameplay, it keeps me entertained and I'm likely to keep playing until I beat the last level.

Having programmed some simple games before I know how difficult it can be to do some of the most menial tasks and how much time and effort it requires. After playing this I can't give you guys anything less than a ten. It's phenomenal in terms of programming and I hope to see more submissions from all of you in the future.

Thank you!

the Engineer the Engineer

Awful storyline, difficult gameplay

This submission's saving grace is the concept itself and the animation. Since I spent so much time playing this, I felt obligated to leave a long review.

Gameplay:
Like many reviewers have already stated, the gameplay is incredibly unbalanced. The earlier levels can easily be beaten without building anything but then it dramatically shifts somewhere in the middle levels to where it can only be beaten by camping on your ass behind multiple turrets until you have enough scrap to venture out. Once it seems like there's a basic strategy to just camp, collect scrap, and leave your base when you're ready the difficulty increases by another power of ten or so with the boss fight. It becomes impossible to stay stationary and you must constantly encircle the arena without stopping while spamming left click just to have a hope of surviving. If you even get near the hordes of enemies you're likely to die, because since there are so many firing so many things the game itself slows down, often creating a time delay with the directional controls that kills you in the process. Unlike a lot of other people here, I felt it was unfair to leave a review for this game until I had beaten the campaign in its entirety, which I did. It was very painful process since the final battle is nothing but running from enemies and hoping the rockets you're firing hit the boss to do a little bit of damage and not one of the robot drones which seem to have infinite amounts of health when you lose the advantage of building 34223423 turrets to keep them away from you. The weapon upgrades really do come in handy in the later levels (if you want to take the time to just leave the game running to collect scrap), but since the enemies become more powerful and increase in numbers it's impossible to hope to upgrade everything and live. Suggestions if you plan on doing bug fixes with this game (which I really hope you do) or on sequel creation would be fixing the balance issues and create a cap on how many enemies can appear on screen at a time, which would probably do wonders with the lag problems.

Storyline:
Typical "robots take over the world and there are few humans/one human left" story with multiple plot holes that just turns into asinine guy humor by the end. Perhaps introduce how/why things happened, and how he's able to create such incredible machines so quickly from scrap metal. Reminds me of a bad MacGyver episode where the engineer creates something from complete garbage and saves the day.

Concept:
The game probably would have been so much better if you just said "to hell with the storyline" and just created a complex turret defense game. With the increasing difficulty curve it could be a very fun game were it not for the balance issues and lagging. The different types of turrets and upgrades are very impressive and fun to use in combination against the enemies, along with the upgrades for them. What bothered me about the turrets the most was that once they were placed, they were invincible. Build enough (like I said earlier) and you can just leave the game running while they rack up scrap for you. The gameplay would be much more interesting if everything could take damage, and perhaps also be repaired by excess scrap.

Animation:
Not much to say here except that it was impressive. The cutscenes (although awful in terms of story) were well animated and had good transitions, and during gameplay I could notice all the details put into the backgrounds, robots, and the machines. The problem with the detail in the enemies was that it was another reason why gameplay could be so slowed at times. Too many turrets or enemies on screen and it became lag city. Other than that, kudos, I was impressed.

As much as I hate to do this, overall the game gets a zero out of ten. There were way too many problems that outweighed the few good things, and it would be much more playable and enjoyable if these were fixed or improved upon in future entries. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dadgame Dadgame

Great game.

The only downsides would probably be the amount of button mashing required and graphics. Otherwise it's pretty entertaining, kept me going for a couple hours.

On the Campaign Trail On the Campaign Trail

Haha, wow.

I saw this and figured "Why not?"

Well, I kept on playing until the debate started. It's so addicting. You should make a sequel. ;)

Test Your Reaction Test Your Reaction

Haha, pretty cool

I liked it. I have pretty bad reflexes. :P

Epilepsy Ball Epilepsy Ball

Wow.

That was pretty fun. Except I started to get dizzy and I think the ball got bigger...

Abalone Slayer Abalone Slayer

Reminds me of Space Invaders.

I like it.

Tower Bloxx Tower Bloxx

Sweet

You might want to add a preloader though. =/

BALLGAME BALLGAME

Holy crap

It gets almost impossible after like 10 balls

Defend Your Mom! Defend Your Mom!

Great Game.

It was very addicting. The graphics weren't that good though.

Kart-Man responds:

Thanks. I should probably get an artist,'cause animation isn't my strong point. :D